Sunday, November 4, 2007

Sunday Fun

Andy has to be at church early on Sundays for meetings. So I have to get myself and the girls all ready for church and get us there on time. Sounds easy enough, but it is quite a tricky task. There are last-minute hijinks's nearly every Sunday which threaten to make us late or make me crazy (or both). This week was no exception.

Today I was doing my hair (usually I give it some extra effort on Sunday) with about 15 minutes until go-time and I heard a sploosh sploosh sound. I turned around and found Ruby straddling the toilet seat with one foot in the toilet water and one foot dangling outside the bowl. (Gasp!) She seemed to be using her foot like a plunger, and she was delighted with the splashes and funny sounds. We do keep the lid shut, but she can open it now, and she is apparently sneaky about it.

I whisked her from the toilet seat to the sink where she had a quick leg-bath. She really enjoyed that too and did not want to get out. She liked the sink so much that I probably reinforced some bad toilet behavior.

Ruby got a new outfit and fresh diaper. I helped Alli finish getting dressed and we ran out the door.

The girls had PB&J sandwiches in the car on our way to church. Ruby fell asleep in the car, so I carried her and my purse and Alli's backpack while dragging Alli behind me, and we made it into the chapel during the opening hymn.

Alli was an angel during Sacrament meeting. She sat quietly and played with some small toys she brought in her backpack. Ruby slept for about half of the meeting. Then she woke up. At first she was okay. Then she saw Daddy sitting up front and she wanted to get down and run to him. It only took a few minutes to go from wiggly and irritated to an all-out tantrum. I rushed Ruby to the foyer and waited out there for the rest of the meeting. Ruby ran in circles and used up some of her excess energy.

Andy has been serving as a counselor to our Bishop for a year and a half, and I still haven't figured out how to do Sunday mornings well on my own. A sense of humor helps.

0 comments: