Tuesday, August 24, 2010

road trip

Last week I went on a road trip with my sister Janis and her daughter Margaret.  Margaret is starting at Brigham Young University... my alma mater! 
The drive from Columbus to Provo is long.  We broke it up into two long days.  We talked a lot.  I reminisced about my college days and got all excited for Margaret.  (She is going to have so much fun!)  We listened to a book on CD (Slumdog Millionaire... not for the kiddies, but overall well-written and an inspiring story).  We ate a lot of snacks.
We stopped at Arches National Park for sight-seeing and hiking.  I love Arches!  The terrain is breathtaking!  Like being in another world.  We only had a few hours there before we hit the road again...

We spent the night in Price, Utah.  On our run in the morning, Janis and
I saw graffiti on a bridge that said, "Cops are awesome!"  It was
written in pink chalk, the writing was cutesy, and there was a big heart
drawn next to it.  The message seemed sincere.   No permanent damage done.
When we arrived in Provo, we stopped by Margaret's new place.

Her apartment has a dishwasher!  And a washer/dryer in the unit!  Deluxe!

While in Provo I got to visit family and friends.  My little bro-in-law has five couches at his apartment!  All of them are "college chic"... or something like that.  I shared a delicious lunch with Kris Tina.  I saw Coby on campus at a booth for his company Readeo.  I met up with Grandma Utah and had lunch at Brick Oven.  Provo is full of friends.
By the light of the moon, Janis and I hiked to the Y on the mountain.  The view was fantastic.

Yes, it is way up there.  I used to love running/hiking up there because everything looks so small from that altitude.
Janis and I ran our long run up Provo Canyon to Bridal Veil Falls and back... 18 miles.  The toughest part was the cold wind coming down the canyon.  Half of our run was uphill and into a stiff wind... the other half wasn't so bad.
We left Utah Friday evening and drove to Boulder, Colorado where we stayed with Andy's sister Jen and had breakfast with the lovely Aunt Anne!  What a treat!  And then we drove all day long.  At every pit stop, we got out of the car like the Tin Man before he was oiled.  Long runs and car trips don't go well together.
We rolled into town Sunday evening.  It was a great trip, but I am glad to be home!  I missed Andy and the girls so much. 
And there is not a moment to rest... school starts this week!

1 comments:

Kris Tina said...

It was so so so great to see you! Thanks for taking the time to brave the crowds of education week!