Monday, October 15, 2007

The Newest Mrs. Mars

Congratulations to my brother Chris and his wife LaTrisha!  They were married October 12.

_MG_4338

We drove to Ohio last Wednesday evening for a weekend of wedding fun.  We survived the drive by limiting Alli's liquid intake (after the second potty-stop), listening to stories on CD, and eating lots of snacks.  We got in late, but we were the first of my siblings to show up at my parents' home, so we got a bedroom to ourselves (this is a big deal when eight siblings, plus spouses and lots of kids stay in a four-bedroom home).

On Thursday we spent the day getting stuff ready for the reception.  I was given the title of "wedding planner" and the responsibility to decorate the reception fell on me.  Yikes.  We bought a few dozen pumpkins at a farm down the road and my dad painted them silver.

dad painting pumpkins

Friday was the wedding.  LaTrisha looked beautiful and Chris couldn't stop smiling.  They were so happy to be married.

chris latrisha 1

After the wedding we went to the church to set up the reception for Saturday.  I wasn't quite sure how the pumpkins and blue flowers would go together.

On Saturday morning I finally found a way to tie all the decorations together.  I collected several vases and clear glass dishes from my parents' house and arranged them at the head table with giant blue mums in the dishes, silver pumpkins, a silver bell garland, and lots of greenery winding through the vase collection.  It turned out much better than I could have imagined, but we were busy all morning getting ready for the 12 o'clock reception.

wedding decoration 1

wedding decoration 4         Chris and LaTrisha wanted Alli to sing a little song at the reception.  Alli told me she wouldn't do it.  Grandma Ohio (with promises of much candy) got her up on stage for a charming rendition of the Cuppy Cake Song.  Alli is still enjoying her candy today.

alli grandma cuppy cake 1

Ruby slept through most of the reception.  My former youth leader Sister Kris was delighted to hold Ruby while she slept.  Ruby had a good nap, and then enjoyed lots of attention from relatives and friends.

My youngest brother Ben looked quite dashing in his tux.  He is one of two unmarried Mars kids.  Marissa is available too... no hurry though.

ben joe izak wedding

Andy was a great help at the reception.  He and my brother Dan ran the pinata game.  Andy directed the kids and Daniel pulled the rope to make the pinata hard to hit. 

andy dan pinata

There were two pinatas.  The kids destroyed them in a few moments.  They had fun.

The reception was wonderful.  The Mars family can throw a good party.

Most siblings left Saturday night, and it was quiet at the Mars house again.  We drove back to Chicago Sunday morning after attending church.  Alli and Ruby both took long naps then ate lots of candy and treats from Grandma.  Despite the wedding and reception, it was a very relaxing weekend for us.

 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The wedding was fun. It was real nice to not have to work and to be around family. I hope Shirley saved the extra "silverware" as it wont be long before Marissa's gets hitched.