Thursday, October 7, 2010

Marathon memories and a ghost 5k

It took months to get in shape for the marathon... and only two weeks to feel like weak sauce.
The week after the marathon I did not run.  That's not totally true.  One day I set out to run three miles.  Seven minutes into it I was ready to head home.  Does that even count?  I didn't try running again until this week.  My knees needed the break.
This week I ran 6+ with my sister Janis.  And I felt great.
Today I started physical therapy for my sad knees.  When my PT did the strength test on my hips, I was embarrassed.  Weak.  I can run 26.2 miles, but I can't do a one-legged squat without wobbling all over.  My physical therapist has given me an exercise regimen to strengthen my core, hips, and knees.  My weak hips are making each step wobbly, and that makes my knees wiggle, so they get irritated and swollen and downright angry.  So stronger hips = happy knees.  (Maybe a firmer behind too.)

In honor of the first day of physical therapy for my knee, here are a few marathon pictures from my Dad.  Great running faces...


Andy kept track of our girls, plus a couple of cousins... they did the fun run together.


Almost at the end!  I was so glad to see Andy!  I got high fives from the family... and that gave me a little extra energy!  We had a large cheering section, and it was great to see them as I ran to the end.


Oh yeah!


Me, Janis, Casey and Jenny (running/training friends) after the race.  Janis and I trained with Casey. 


The after-party at Spaghetti Warehouse.  This is mostly family.  We had our own room.  Can you find Andy and me?  I'm in a red jacket.  It was so wonderful to eat something besides GU!

I have been asked about next year.  It is too soon to commit.  We'll see how physical therapy goes.  For now, I'm not supposed to run more than 4 miles at a time.

I will do a Celebrity Ghost 5k this month though.  Who should I dress up as?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

way to go!! Hope therapy helps your knees.

Emily said...

micheal jackson?