Tuesday, July 19, 2011

traveling with three kids


When we travel by air, I like to dress the girls alike.  It is easier to keep track of them.  I fear losing a child in an airport, and I figure if they are dressed alike, I can easily say, "She was wearing this... only smaller."

As soon as we board a plane, Alli and Ruby review the safety information card in the seat-back pocket.

And then they ask questions.
"Have you ever done THIS before?"  "What is he doing?"
The explanations are fun... and always lead to more questions.

June is a nervous flyer.  She did not like take-offs.  Nor landings.  As the engines fired up, she said, "What's going on?!"  And when we got up into the clouds, she looked out the window and exclaimed, "We're falling out of the clouds!"  And when there was turbulence, she had worried eyes.  We took a few trips to the potty.  That was stressful to her too.  I must admit, I get a little freaked out when I flush an airplane potty.

Alli kept herself busy with a book.  Ruby drew pictures.  June sat on my lap and got into things.

We flew on Southwest Airlines.  I like the family boarding and free checked bags.
The kids liked the airplane-shaped crackers.

Alli and Ruby battled over the window seats.

For good reason.  The view just outside of Chicago was spectacular with hundreds of whirling white windmills.  And the city dazzled at sunset.  Unfortunately, we only had an hour in Chicago which meant we could only enjoy the airport.
Traveling is a treat, but there is something magical about coming home.



1 comments:

Beth said...

i helped carrie travel with her three kids from california to georgia (she was flying ahead of kevin). what an adventure!