Sunday, December 10, 2006

Cheerios Explosion


Sunday mornings are usually a circus for us. Andy has to be at church for meetings at 6:15am. I have to get myself and the girls ready and be at church before 9am. That doesn't sound very difficult, but it is one of the most stressful few hours of my week. This morning we actually made it to church on time. Andy even met us in the parking lot to help carry the girls in. Allison got her usual Sunday-breakfast-to-go: Cheerios in a baggie and a sippy cup of milk (often packed the night before).

Andy is in the bishopric at church, so he sits on the stand in front of the congregation. I sit in the pews with the girls. About halfway into the service today, Ruby was getting hungry and Alli was getting fidgety. Alli took the baggy of Cheerios that she had been snacking on and she tossed it into the air.

The next few seconds felt like slow motion. Cheerios flew up into the air. High into the air. The sound of gasps and giggles from people behind us came next. Those airborne Cheerios reached their maximium height and began to fall. The Cheerio fallout zone covered an area about ten feet long and ten feet wide. Little Cheerios starting pinging down on unsuspecting folks, prompting more giggles and gasps and heads turning in our direction. On the stand in front of us, Andy covered his mouth to hide his grin and keep from laughing out loud. Giggles and snickers seemed to come from every direction. I ducked down to start picking up the mess, and to hide my blushing cheeks. The couple next to us and the children in front of us... and some people in the pew in front of them...and a few people behind us pitched in to pick up the little missiles. A kind sister held Ruby so I could pick up the cereal.

It is amazing how a few seconds can turn into the most unforgettable part of a day.

2 comments:

Amy Christine said...

I love it! Noah still asks for Allison. Well, he doesn't ask where she is anymore - now he says "Allison's in Chicago." Just to remind me. We're switching to 9am church in January and I'm SO excited since it won't interfere with naps anymore, but I'm not looking forward to the hectic mornings!

Chelsey said...

I'm really laughing out loud! I wish I could have been there. I keep having more and more of those kinds of moments with Zoe. *sigh*

We miss you guys!