Thursday, July 3, 2008

number three

ultrasound 11wks

Yes.  I am pregnant.

And this is a tricky little one already.  I had an ultrasound at 11 weeks to see how far along I was.  My midwife thought I was further along than the calendar would suggest.  It turns out that I am just big this time.  Cool.  All was well with the baby.

At 12 weeks, the midwife couldn't find the heartbeat.  She said not to worry, come back at 13 weeks.  I have never, ever heard a heartbeat from my womb at or before 12 weeks... without a real ultrasound machine.  I tried not to worry.

Today I went in for the 13 week heartbeat check.  I was nervous.  Very.  My blood pressure was higher than normal, enough that the nurse wanted to recheck it.  I calmed myself enough for a normal second reading.  When the midwife came in, she put the doppler scanner probe on my belly and started circling it around, searching for the heartbeat.  Nothing.  She continued to move it around.  Nothing.  She had me change positions.  Nothing.  It was the longest five minutes of remaining calm while the look of concern was growing in her eyes.  She said, "I think we need to do an ultrasound."

I was freaking out inside... and it was starting to surface.  Before Alli, I had two miscarriages.  Both were late in the first trimester.  Both were awful.  I focused on my breathing to keep from crying.  I was trying so hard to breath easy so my belly wouldn't shake... so she could find that heartbeat!  I was going through some sad scenarios in my head.

Then, she found it!  Only for a second.  I think I was shaking too much... with relief.  It took her another minute to find the heartbeat again.  It was definitely a baby heartbeat, quick, and music to my ears.  What relief!  Five second later the battery in her machine died.  What timing!

So baby #3, the mini-van-baby, will be joining us in early January (or maybe in late, late December for a nice tax break?).

Stay tuned.

10 comments:

terica said...

Congrats Karyn and family. I feel sad you were so nervous I have been there before and it is awful, but we are so happy to hear that you are doing well as is baby! With as darling as your kids are, you should never stop having them!

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

CONGRATS KARYN!!! we are so excited for you!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! How exciting.

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! Oh my gosh, i am extremely excited! let me know how you and the kids are doing, excited to see you!!
vanessa

Steph said...

WOW! What a crazy day but at least you got a CUTE pic and heard the baby, I am so happy for you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah for numero tres!

Joy said...

Congratulations Nicoll's!!! I'm so sorry about the heartbeat scare...that is never fun. But, I am so glad to hear things looked great and we are so happy for you! Being a family of 5 is a blast! :) Congrats again, and take good care of yourself!

Alex said...

Congratulations you guys! I'm so happy for you Karyn. I will be thinking about you!

Heather said...

Yay!!! What great news! I can't wait to talk to you! How exciting...the thought of adding baby #3 and a mini-van at the same time. You really have arrived!

Anonymous said...

What a cute 1st picture! Sorry you had to practically have a heart attack! Glad all is well! We can't wait for you to find out if it's a boy or another super cute girl!

natasha said...

Congratulations Karen!!! I'm so happy all is well.....I can relate to your experience all too well...even after many years.

Today we found out our children in Haiti have a visa appt. tomorrow.

We will leave CHA on the 19th to pick them up!!!

Take care!