Monday, July 27, 2009

Swooning and such

Just last week I was thinking I haven't posted a good story in a while...

Things have been busy around here. We got an offer on our house! We are hunting for a house.
In the midst of all this craziness, last Thursday I wasn't feeling very well. My stomach felt angry, so I didn't eat much or drink much. I went to bed and tossed and turned, I was hot and sweaty. I didn't sleep well.
June woke up and 4am. Hungry. I went downstairs to feed her (her room is on the second floor, ours is on the third). As I sat in the rocking chair nursing June, my ears started ringing and I got hot and cold and really sweaty. I knew something wasn't right, so I quickly put June back into her crib. She wasn't happy about that. As I walked out of her room, I passed out, falling mouth-first into the banister rail just outside her door.
The loud wack woke Andy up. He came running to see who had broken into the house.
I was laying on the floor in the hallway not sure of what had happened. My mouth hurt. I felt weak. After a minute, I got up and went to the bathroom. Still not feeling well. As I was washing my hands, I collapsed again.
I remember laying on the floor and Andy telling me that he was calling 911. The tile floor in the bathroom felt so cool and good. The ambulance was coming and my mind was swirling with thoughts like, "I need to get dressed," and "Who will watch the kids?" and "I don't want to go in an ambulance, but I can't make it to the car," and "I need some deodorant"...
The paramedics arrived. They asked a bunch of questions and I don't remember much of that. They carried me downstairs and out to the ambulance on a stretcher-chair-thingy. In the ambulance, they helped me onto a gurney board and they put a neck brace on me and hooked me up to an IV. Oxygen too.
This was the same ambulance that followed President Obama around Chicago just hours before. Same EMTs too. President Obama had dinner at a home just one street over and a few blocks down from us... practically our neighbors! Anyhow...
Andy called our neighbor who promptly came over to stay with the girls.
The emergency room experience was long and boring. I was at the hospital until late in the morning. I got 2 liters of IV fluid... and that perked me up. My teeth hurt. My lip was throbbing and huge. I had a bruise on my shoulder and knee.
When I got home, I looked in the mirror to check out my mouth. My teeth didn't chip or break, but there are white fracture lines through the two front teeth... like they are shattered and waiting to crumble. (Have I ever mentioned that is one of my worst nightmares?)
I was able to get into the dentist on Saturday. He said not to worry too much. He can't do anything until they break. Or if they die and turn brown.
Very comforting.
Luckily, you can only see them if you are looking for them in the right light, up close.
They didn't show up much in this picture...


But the fat lip is pretty obvious.
I am feeling much better. Totally fine... except my teeth still feel a little weird, but maybe it is more the fear of them crumbling than anything else... and my lip is still extra plump.
But the moral of this story is STAY HYDRATED!!! The combination of virus, not eating or sleeping well, sweating and nursing did me in.

8 comments:

Kris Tina said...

Whoa - this was a big post. Congrats on the offer - I'm sure you guys will find something awesome and . . . well . . . stay hydrated!

HeAtHeR* said...

WOW! so sorry to hear that happened! That is CRAZY! Congratulations on selling your house! That is sooooo exciting! I hope you fell better!

stephasauri said...

Yikes! That is so scary! I'm glad you're okay... and have a good story to tell. I hope your teeth don't fall out! CAn't wait to see pics!

Shana said...

I promptly drank a whole bottle of water after I read this. Whewww. Glad you are ok.

Joy said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you are ok and so glad that Andy woke up! You poor thing! And, I know the feeling about being worried about the kids, etc...I did the exact same thing when I cut my arm. Not fun! Ok, so are you guys staying in Chicago??? CONGRATS on selling the house! Oh, and btw - I get SO many compliments on the burp clothe you made for Penn. THANK YOU.

Porters said...

That's so crazy, i feel so bad for you. Don't you hate it when these things happen to us and we have no control over the out come. I hope your teeth start to feel better, why do those silly things have to be so important. Congrats on selling your home, are you off to a new city or just something different?

Tanya said...

Might I suggest an area called west town...preferably close to Talcott Academy!

Heather said...

Holy cow Karyn! That's terrible...but I am glad you are okay.