Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Whoa!

My mom sent a package to us with gifts for Alli, Andy and me... for our January birthdays. Alli opened her gift, and I set the one for Andy and me aside to open on our birthday. Fifteen minutes later I heard,

"Whoa! That's a big knife!"

I instantly turned to see Allison holding a large santoku knife! My heart stopped. I had a split second to consider all of the terrible possibilities of a three year old with a large, sharp object, but trust me, every awful scene went through my head. I calmly said, "Freeze."

I took the knife from Alli without a fight. She knows she can't play with knives. As I wondered how this happened, I noticed torn wrapping paper from the gift for Andy and me. She had quietly opened our present, unsheathed the knife, and carried it over to show me.

What can we learn from this? If you are giving a dangerous gift, maybe you should wrap it in scary paper, or put some kind of warning on it. And you can't leave an unopened present with a three year old no matter who it is for.

Despite the terrifying opening of the gift, the knife is fabulous! Thanks mom!

1 comments:

Steph said...

Whoa is right girl! How scary!!! The story does make me chuckle though...after the fact...