Monday, June 2, 2008

Would you like some fries with that?

We got a new fish about a month ago... to replace the one that died. It is a pineapple swordtail fish. It is a freshwater tropical fish. Very hardy and low maintenance. Perfect for us. Alli picked it out and named it "Yellow Lettuce." It is a girl fish. It has been a wonderful, healthy fish.

It lives in our little tank with an algae-eating sucker fish.

This morning as I was getting ready to give the fish some flakes, I thought I saw some flakes already floating around. I took a closer look at the little floaties. I was quite shocked to discover five or six baby fish swimming around the tank! They are tiny-- about 1/4 inch long. This afternoon there were several more. We are up to twenty baby fish now. They are yellowish-orange with clear tails. They have disproportionately huge eyes. Very cute.

These baby fish are called "fry." And we have a lot of fries. If anyone is interested in having a pet fish, I have just the fish for you! Come and get 'em! Free fries!

Some interesting things about pineapple swordtail fish:
- They give birth to live young. Ours must have come to us pregnant... or the sucker fish and the pineapple swordtail are more than just friends.
-Sometimes they eat their babies... when mama fish says, "Oh you are so cute I could just eat you up!" I hope they run (or swim) fast. So please come adopt them soon.
-Male swordtails have a long fin that looks like a sword. Females are a little bigger and don't have long pointy tails.
-They are friendly, peaceful fish in communities... so take a bunch of fries.
-They are easy to take care of... as long as they don't have a million babies!

7 comments:

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

welcome yellow lettuce! hopefully you won't be seeing the toilet bowl to soon!

karyn- i am doing a 5K with stroller next weekend at brookfield zoo.. interested?

Shana said...

oh oh pick me, I want a fish or two!

Anonymous said...

Fun! My very first fish were a couple of swordtails, a boy and a girl, and soon thereafter, thirty or so babies, then thirty more, then ... well, I ended up selling all the babies back to the pet store I got mom and pop from. Maybe Alli could start a little business!

If you don't find homes for all of them, the ones that survive mom, the sucker fish, and a normal infant mortality rate will be very happy swimming around together in your little tank. Of course, then you might end up with a few more little fry...

Emily said...

This is hilarious!

Bruce would love this - but I wouldn't even know where to put a tank.

Good luck finding homes. It's better than dozens of cats, right?

Heather said...

How funny!! Well, maybe not for you, but definitely the way you describe the situation! Sorry I don't live closer...I would love to take some fries off you hands. Good luck with all the babies!

Anonymous said...

We like fries. We'd take some if we still lived there.

Speaking of yellow names, Zoe just named her blue lizard "Lots of Yellow Eyes"

Karyn said...

There are plenty of fish for all! I have to get rid of them before they are old enough to make more babies!