Tuesday, April 29, 2008

farewell Lettuce

This morning came with tragic news.  Alli's goldfish "Lettuce" died.

Last night we took a family trip to Petco, where we bought a few aquarium supplies.  We returned home and gave the fish tank a good spring cleaning.  When we put the filter back on the tank, the intake cover was accidentally left off... and that, my friends, is what did the fish in.

Poor Alli was saddened by the loss of her pet fish.  She didn't cry, but she appeared to be on the brink of tears and was unusually quiet.  A brief funeral service was held in the bathroom, and then Andy flushed the little fish.

We will be returning to Petco today to adopt another fish... and cheer up a little girl.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I have several memories of flushing fish down the toilet as a kid. I guess it stuck with me since they were the only pets I had. I was never clever enough to name my fish Lettuce, leave it to Alli for that!

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

we have tried so many fish... they never quite make it with us.. but after reading your story, it makes me want to get another one.. is it bad that i want to buy one with already knowing it won't last long?

Karyn said...

Yes Nicole, the fish don't last long, but the memories are forever! :)