Friday, September 5, 2008

it's the little things... that are so hard to pick up

Up until now, I thought "terrible twos" was a gross exaggeration. Alli was great as a two-year-old (except that week-long run-away-from-mom phase). And then there was Ruby.

The sewing kit got reorganized this week. She removed every needle from its package and... eh, I don't want to think about it anymore. It was ugly. Alli's hair was painted blue with one foul swoop of Ruby's brush. We have twice-folded laundry (not as savory as twice-baked potatoes). Alli has a bite-shaped bruise on her arm. Also reorganized: a container of googly eyes, a bag of pom-poms, my box o' ribbons, a box of nails and screws, about 200 sheets of paper (actually, I haven't gotten to that mess yet).
I walked into the kitchen and discovered Ruby doing this:

She said, "Look Mom! I make footprints!" Indeed. Footprints on the mirror is a fresh new look in our home.
Later I heard Ruby say, "I'm touching the ceiling!" I ran into the living room only to discover Ruby had climbed up the banister to the ceiling. Alli was standing below with arms outstretched saying, "Jump down Ruby! I'll catch you!"

I snapped this picture as she was coming down (thankfully not jumping into Alli's arms).
It's a good thing she is cute.

Most of the time Ruby is sweet as pie... and I love this little bug to pieces. It's just that she has the personality of Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde right now... so wonderful one minute and then insanely spreading little things all over the floor... and laughing. The terrible twos will end... right??? (Oh yeah, then they get big and want to drive and stuff.)
It has been a bit of a rough week of picking up lots of tiny little things... so here are a few things that made me smile.


Hooray for PBS Kids! Alli and Ruby didn't even notice the flash go off when I took the picture. I love quiet time. We made a batch of homemade muffins... with zucchini, yellow squash and carrots. Yum. My washer and dryer always make me smile (ignore the unfolded clean clothes). I love the little song they play when a load of laundry is done. Music to my ears. I finished six little paintings for the bathroom... and hung them up. Mmm. White peaches are beyond delicious.


3 comments:

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

wishing you a better next week... still filled with cute children but less needles & pins laying all over.

ehhh.. that pic was the worst one.

have a great weekend!

Heather said...

This sounds so much like my house...two busy girls can find so much to get into, can't they?? I just can't wait to hear your stories when you add #3!

Anonymous said...

I wish we lived closer so grandma could help more with the girls. Grandchildren are the greatest!!!