Monday, September 8, 2008

Nie Nie auction!

The internet is a funny thing. Better than reality TV, we can observe the lives of others via blogs and comment on it. We bond with friends and friends-of-friends, and friendly "lurkers" who de-lurk now and then.

I have a list of blog-friends that I read-up on regularly. Some I have never met.

One of the blogs I have been reading for a while is C-jane. She has a sister Nie Nie, who keeps a blog as well. I have been reading that one for a while too. Both women are inspiring mothers, sisters, friends, wives... I just love them.

Nie Nie was recently involved in an airplane crash. She and her husband were badly burned, the flight instructor onboard died.

Nie Nie, her real name is Stephanie Nielsen, and her husband Christian have four young children (age 6 and under). Stephanie and Christian are in an Arizona hospital burn unit, where they are in for a long recovery. Their children are being cared for by family in Utah.

Ever since the accident, I haven't been able to get them out of my thoughts. Every day I check for updates. I have never met Stephanie and Christian, but I feel like they are good friends.

The family of Stephanie and Christian is remarkable. They have shown so much hope and faith through this ordeal. Their words and actions are inspiring.

The blogging community is pretty amazing. There is a network of good people who read these blogs. They have reached out to the family in a massive effort to raise money to help pay for medical bills, the family's expenses, etc. The New York Times had an article about it. They will be on the Today Show tomorrow (Tuesday).

Hundreds of people have auctioned items (many homemade goodies) to benefit our beloved Nie Nie. I am a bit slow, but I want to help too. I am auctioning a set of five funky, handmade hairbows. They are made of felt, flowers, buttons, ribbon, fabric, gems, feathers, beads... all the stuff that girls are made of. They have felt-covered metal clips (to grip fine baby hair). They are sure to dazzle any little girl. Very fancy and fun. If you don't have a girl... this makes a great gift.

100% of the proceeds will go to the Nielsen Family Recovery Fund. To bid, leave a comment with your email address. Bid in increments of at least $1. This auction will close Sunday, September 14th at midnight. I will notify the winner who will pay the amount to the paypal account for the recovery fund and forward the receipt email to me... and then I will ship the prize. It will come all wrapped up cutesy-style. You will be delighted... possibly even tickled pink.

If you aren't interested in bidding, that's okay, but please pray for the Nielsen family!


Do I hear $1?



7 comments:

Darcie said...

Karyn, as one of your very frequent lurkers, I'll start the bidding at $20.

Your blog is one of my absolute favorites... thank you. You do for me what cjane and NieNie do for you.

Darcie said...

Oh, and I'm tired of traveling through three different blogs to get to yours. I'm adding you to my links. Right now.

Karyn said...

Hi Darcie! So nice to meet you! And thanks. :)

Tanya said...

Okay scary. That family is one of my friend Caryle's best friends. Boy this world is small.

Anonymous said...

I will bid 30!

Anonymous said...

did i win? did the hammer fall?

Karyn said...

The hammer will fall Sunday night! Stay tuned...