Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Got milk? Adventures in lactation.


June is two weeks old today.  I know.  Two weeks already?!  Those two weeks flew by in the wink of an eye, yet the pregnancy seems like so long ago.  I was a completely different shape only two weeks ago (I'm thinking blimp shape in the middle). 
So my body has reinvented itself.  No longer am I the oven for the bun.  I am less of a bakery and more of a dairy. 
Moo.
I had forgotten how much time a nursing mom must sit still to feed her baby.  It is wonderful!  A tiny part of me feels a tiny bit guilty for not getting anything done for those 20 minute spells spread throughout the day.  In total, at least two hours of my day are devoted to milk.  But I am over that already.  Twenty minutes of staring at my suckling child while I sit is a treat I relish over and over again.
Alli and Ruby have adjusted well to my new feeding duties.  They are fascinated with it all (it is pretty amazing how lactation happens).  They aren't clamoring for my attention too much when I am occupied with breastfeeding... it helps to have my sister staying with us.  They have asked some very good questions and made some very astute observations about breastfeeding.  "Does the milk taste like what you eat?"  "Mom, you are leaking."  They are fascinated with the breast pump.  It looks like much more fun than it really is. 
Alli's friend came to our house the other day while I was breastfeeding June.  Alli invited him in and said, "Do you want to watch my mom nurse June?"  Luckily I have a nursing cover.  I don't need questions and commentary from neighborhood kids.

4 comments:

Alison said...

2 weeks already? She's gorgeous! Glad she's got a good supply of the good stuff to chub her up. Keep enjoying those little breaks. I have to say that I think nursing is just the best thing ever...I know what you mean feeling like a dairy. I used to call myself the dairy queen. =)

stephasauri said...

Can I bring you to show and tell?

I can't wait to meet June!!!

Raquel Thomas said...

Oh, congratulations! Your girls are so beautiful and sweet--just like their mama!

Raquel Thomas said...

Oh, congratulations! Your girls are so beautiful and sweet--just like their mama!