Saturday, January 29, 2011

the professional first grader


Sometimes I worry that Alli is growing up too fast.  Not because she is into tween stuff yet.  It's not that.
A few days ago Alli lamented the fact that she doesn't have many adult friends here.  In Chicago she considered many adults to be her friends.  But here, she mostly has kid friends, and she wished that some of her adult friends from Chicago could move here.
The next morning I was brushing her hair while she ate her breakfast toast, and she asked for a ponytail.  Normally she likes her hair brushed, but not really fussed over.  Then she said, "I think hair pulled back looks more professional."  And she pointed out that she was wearing a white turtleneck shirt... which is very professional.
I met with a PTA mom yesterday after school to discuss how I can help with teacher appreciation week.  Instead of running off to play with the other kids, Alli sat right with us, interjecting her ideas into the conversation without the least hesitation.  She had some good ideas... and plenty of strong opinions.  She looked at a snapshot of the teachers' lounge and said, "Those chairs have got to go!"  And, "Those curtains won't do."  "How about some plants?"
I am not worried about Alli turning into a tween too early... but I worry about her asking for a briefcase or pant suit or portfolio for her resume.






0 comments: