Friday, February 15, 2008

Feeling the Love

Alli had a rockin' Valentine's Day party at her school yesterday.  Ruby came along for the celebration.  The Valentine's festivities included a non-uniform day, so Alli got to wear whatever she wanted to school.  She wore the pink velour outfit from Grandma with several bracelets, a necklace, heart-patterned flip-flops, heart sunglasses, and her sparkly red tote bag.  (I am kicking myself now for not getting a better picture of the whole ensemble).

Alli gave Valentine's to everyone in her class.  She wrote her name on them all and she wrote the names of most of her friends.  She said some of her friends' names were too long, so I helped out with those ones.  She even made one for herself... to Alli from Alli.  I love you.

ruby kiss 1 ruby kiss 2 ruby kiss 3

Ruby was thrilled about the cookie-decorating table.  There were cookies, frosting, sprinkles, candy and chocolate kisses all within her reach, and no one was stopping her.  Miss Jess gave Ruby a cookie to decorate.  Ruby didn't bother with it.  Instead, she ate all of the chocolate kisses she could get her paws on.  The cookie remained untouched.

valentine cookie

Alli, however, managed to completely camouflage her cookie with gooey frosting and a mountain of sprinkles.

valentine party 1 valentine party 2

alli valentine party ruby valentine party

The kids decorated bags for exchanging Valentine cards.  The bags were set out on the floor while cards were passed out.  Ruby took this opportunity to swipe the teachers' bags.  Nice try.  Alli had a great time going through her Valentine's Day loot.  She got lots of cards, stickers, pencils, and CANDY!

As hard as I tried to keep the sugar to a minimum, the girls really overdid it with the candy and treats.  Ruby somehow found a sucker in the middle of dinner (maybe it was under the table in a secret stash?)and helped herself... by this time she was in a sugar-induced stupor (note the blank stare).

ruby sugared out

The girls went to bed early.  Whew.  And when Andy got home, he and I went for a walk around the neighborhood, which is one of my favorite things to do... even when I am dressed like an Eskimo.  (PS- the kids weren't left alone.  My sister is visiting.)

Andy and I went out Wednesday night to Aria for our Valentines' date.  It was wonderful.  Delicious.

(By the way... Aria has a chocolate cake touted as the BEST in Chicago.  We didn't get it because we were pretty full and they say it feeds a crowd.  But I would love to go back and try it, so any girlfriends who are up for a night out, let me know!)\

Anyhow, I hope you were all feeling the love on Valentine's Day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read an article the other day that said sugar doesn't make children hyper. It said that is an old wise tale and studies have been done to prove otherwise. Someone who has never had kids must have written the article.
Grandma

Kris Tina said...

I'm so sad there isn't a picture of the Valentine's day ensemble! Oh well, I'm sure Alli will again come up with something great for next year.

Steph said...

you know I am always up for chocolate cake! yum-o! cute v-day pics. i miss those good ole days of passing out valentines!!!

Robyn and Taft said...

karyn! i love checking your blog. i always find myself laughing out loud at alli and ruby's antics and making taft come over and read them. they're so entertaining.