Thursday, March 27, 2008

Recipe: Carrot Cake

ruby cupcake 1

I made a carrot cake earlier this week for a dinner at church.  The recipe is from my Grandma who got it from a restaurant (I think).  This is my favorite non-chocolate cake ever.  It is good (the two syllable kind of good).  This cake is so moist and crumbly and... just perfect. 

The cake was eaten up so quickly that I didn't even get a piece.  Never fear!  I had leftover batter, so I made a few mini-cupcakes and kept them stashed away safely at home.

CARROT CAKE

1- 20 oz. can crushed pineapple

2 c. sugar

1-1/2 c. vegetable oil

4 eggs

2 c. flour

2 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. cinnamon

1-1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1 tsp. salt

3 c. grated carrots

1 c. chopped nuts (optional)

(I also added 1/2 tsp. cloves)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Drain pineapple.  Cream sugar and oil.  Beat in eggs.  Mix dry ingredients separately and then add to egg mixture.  Mix well.  Fold in pineapple, carrots, and nuts.  Mix well.  Pour batter in greased and floured pans (3- 8 inch round pans or 9x12 inch pan).  Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (25-40 minutes, depending on pan size).

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

1 lb. cream cheese

1 c. butter

2 tsp. vanilla

2-1/2 lbs. powdered sugar

Cream butter and cheese together.  Add vanilla, then gradually beat in sugar.  Mix until smooth and creamy.  Frost cooled cakes.

If you make this, call me.  I'll be right over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Promise you'll come if I make it?

Alex said...

Oh good, I was hoping I would get a copy of this recipe. Thanks for sharing!