Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Reason for the Season

Tonight, for Family Home Evening we read part of the Christmas story in Luke chapter 2 of the Bible.
Alli and Ruby dressed up as different characters to act out the scenes. 
Here, Alli plays the part of Joseph.  Ruby is Mary (grumpy because her headband wasn't staying in place).  Baby Jesus is a doll wearing a bow tie in a manger with a feather boa for hay.  The stable is a tent.

The shepherds...

The angels!

And then Alli wanted to hear the story of Samuel from the Book of Mormon.  She dressed up as Samuel and talked about the signs of Christ's birth.

We wrapped up our evening by singing "Away in a Manger" (verses 1 and 3 per Alli's request) and "Silent Night."  And then we had a few Christmas cookies.

As a kid, our family dressed up and acted out the nativity every year to the narration of Luke 2.  I am glad Alli and Ruby are old enough to start that tradition for our family.

1 comments:

Debbie Nicolls Clifford said...

I was searching for my nephew's blog and came across your. I'm sure we are related since my grandfather was the one that added the "s" to the end of Nicoll. My name is Debbie Nicolls Clifford. I live in Mesa where our ancestors were one of the finding pioneers of Mesa, so we have quite a few relatives here. We are related to B. F. Johnson who had seven wives. My Dad is from BF's first wife Melissa. BF Johnson was a secretary to Joseph Smith. Very small world huh?