Wednesday, April 23, 2008

All saving the earth and whatnot...

 

Happy Earth Day!  (Yesterday, I know.)  We spent Earth Day without phone or Internet... not actually because we were trying to conserve energy, but because of a problem I would describe as "Comcastic."  Anyhow, we are back on the information grid today.

ruby alli in bag 1

In celebration of Earth Day, I am going public with my newest green habit...I am now only using fabric grocery bags.  I love them.  I keep my collection of fabric bags in the car trunk so I have them when I need them.  This bag from Aldi was $2 and it fits two kids inside (very handy).  Carrying groceries in from the alley is much easier with the big, strong fabric bags.

I do still use those thin clear plastic bags for produce, but as long as they are clean and dry, I reuse them.  They go in my fabric bag collection in the trunk until I need them. 

I have a few other earth saving tips...

- when a cup of water is left out, instead of dumping it down the drain, I water our houseplants.

- I repair/reinvent some of our worn out clothes (kids pants make nice shorts when the knees wear out)

- I use empty sour cream and yogurt tubs over again for our leftovers... and for all our freezer jam now.

- our huge supply of plastic grocery bags are being used as trash can liners and stinky diaper holders.

What are you doing to improve the earth?  Let's hear your best tips...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, besides the things you mention (all of which we do too, though I haven't done nearly as much with old clothes as you), we save printer paper that has been printed on one side, then use it to print other things that don't require virgin paper (drafts of documents, printing experiments, coupons, etc). On all things that aren't formal, I also shrink the margins so that what I'm printing takes as few pages as possible.

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

i will admit, i am not good with lights (i also am not fully over being scared of the dark if scott is gone so i am over that issue)...
but, i also use a reusable basket to take things too and from.. and i got a bigger purse and don't take nearly as many shopping bags when i buy things at the mall. not amazing 'green' things but little is better than nothing, right?