Friday, April 25, 2008

Disaster Averted in Playground Adventure

The weather is glorious today.  So we spent the morning at the park.

Ruby, my little adventurer, followed Alli and her friends around trying to do what they were doing... big kid stiff.  Alli and Elijah got on the tire swing, and Ruby wanted to ride too.  So I put her on and pushed the three of them.

The kids laughed and yelled "Faster! Faster!" as they swung around.  They were doing great for about ten minutes.  Then Elijah let go of one of the chains to wave his arm around or something.  Ruby tried to do it too. 

With only one hand on the chain, Ruby lost her balance and slipped into the tire hole.  I was right there, pushing the kids around, but I couldn't react fast enough.  Ruby let go with her other hand and she fell to the ground below the tire swing.  I knew in a moment she would try to get up with the 100 pound wrecking ball swinging above her. 

I timed my pounce, and dove in to get her out of the danger zone.  I scooped her up, and in my hurry to get out of the way of the oncoming tire laden with kids, I tripped and did a commando-style roll (it was probably more like a clumsy somersault), landing with Ruby held tightly to my chest.  I was sprawled out on my back. 

Very cool.

I laid there for a few seconds hoping that no one had just seen my action-hero performance... and dramatic crash landing. 

Ruby was fine.  She had a very minor scrape on her knee from the rubber flooring.  My knee was all red and purple with scrapes.  Very fun.

Alli and Ruby took turns kissing my knee better.  That made it all worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always thought of you as a superhero.

joyce nicoll said...

I'm amazed that you didn't get hit by the tire. I probably would have been knocked out.