Monday, November 10, 2008

independent women

I guess I should take some comfort in knowing our girls could take care of themselves somewhat if they were ever stranded home alone (not likely to happen). 

Last week I got to sleep in a little bit.  When I came downstairs, Alli and Ruby had helped themselves to cereal and milk.  Big bowls.  (There are always consequences for sleeping in.  *Sigh.*)

I mix marshmallow junk cereal 50/50 with Kashi or Cheerios.  That adds nutrition... and stretches out the marshmallows. 

To make up for the scarce marshmallows, Alli and Ruby had heaping bowls of cereal... and by the time I found them, the marshmallows were all gone.  All that was left was a heap of mushy, nutritious, whole-grain cereal goo.

Ruby has turned extremely independent lately.  She wants to do everything all by herself.  Sometimes this is completely adorable (when she pulls her own pants up or buckles her own shoes).  Other times (when she wants to pour her own milk from the jug) it is not so cute.  Last week  Ruby got herself up on the counter and helped herself to an unknown amount of raisins in the cupboard.  The snack wasn't a big problem... the resulting diaper was though.

I keep some art supplies way up high to prevent mishaps like this and this.  A few days ago, Alli brought me an art project she had done with some restricted materials.  The art was great, but I was surprised at the supplies she used.  Upon questioning, she revealed that she got the markers, etc. down by herself with the aid of a tall stool.  Yikes.

Our girls are growing up.  And I love their independent spirits.  But it sure is sweet when they want me to sing them a song or kiss a boo-boo. 



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your independent women. Good thing you have a completely dependent one coming right up to shake it up a little!