Sunday, January 20, 2008

Baby, it's cold outside.

The new favorite hang out spot in our house is the kitchen heater vent.  Alli and Ruby like to sit or lie on it as the warm air comes out.  That is a great thing to do these days... Chicago is wicked-cold!Alli Ruby on heater vent

It has been so cold that the front wheel on the stroller freezes and I can't make it turn.  But that was a few days ago when it was still "warm" enough to venture outside.  Yesterday the temperature was -2 degrees with a windchill of -20.  The newslady warned people not to go outside with exposed skin.  So I had to cancel my sunbathing plans.

We left for church at 8am today.  Stepping outside took my breath away, and I wanted to cough instead of breathe.  My nose hairs froze.  We couldn't run to the car fast enough...  but it wasn't exactly warm since we park outside in the alley.  Everyone chattered all the way to church.  Heat started to come out of the vents as we pulled into the parking lot.  As we drove home this afternoon, Andy tried to clear the windshield with a squirt of washer fluid.  It was frozen within seconds.  Wicked-cold.

We have a three-story townhome.  Usually the top floor is too warm during the day, the second floor is comfortable, and the ground floor is a bit chilly.  This weekend the top floor is comfortable.  The second floor is chilly.  The ground floor is downright freezing.

We are bundling up.  I have been putting my thermals and wool sweaters to good use.  Alli enjoys layering clothes too.  She likes to dress herself, and layering just gives her more opportunity for creative expression.  Friday's outfit was: snow boots, warm socks, black tights, pink velour pants, hot pink skirt, green undershirt, red t-shirt, and floral long-sleeve shirt.  Needless to say, I am doing more laundry these days.

So we are staying in for a few more days, sipping hot chocolate and eating soup... and thinking warm thoughts.

1 comments:

Missi said...

Hi Karyn, I am glad you found my site, now I found yours! This posting brings back so many memories. I would run home from the bus stop in MI and my Mom would say hurry, go lay by "Heidi", she was my favorite vent in our house.