Monday, January 28, 2008

I'm raising a Chicago driver

Alli and I were talking about driving the other day and I told her that some adults do not drive. She looked at me as if I had a flower sprouting out of my forehead and said,

"Mom, driving is easy. You just turn the steering wheel and honk at people who are in your way."

Can you tell Alli is growing up in the city?

Is this a reflection on my driving? I don't think I honk very much... that said, I have honked more in the last three and a half years than I have in my entire driving career combined. Sometimes I (calmly) say "beeeeeeep!" instead of laying on the horn to relieve my frustration without contributing to the noise pollution and irritation of others. Honking never makes traffic better... though it can get you through a tricky turn in an intersection.

The girls definitely hear lots of car horns throughout the day whether we are driving or not. Ruby likes the honking and she repeats "Beep! Beep!" quite cheerfully as if it were a funny joke.

Very funny. Let's move it people!

2 comments:

Joy said...

I love it!!! When we moved to Indy I was honking at everyone and people just glared at me! I've eased up on the honking a bit, but there really isn't anything like a good HONK in the city to get your point across! Gotta love city living...we will be back soon! Hope you guys are well...I love keeping up-to-date on your family through your blog!

Alison said...

That's city living! We also have learned some other great tricks from the cabbies to make our commuting a little faster! That right lane is a shame to waste! =)