Thursday, January 3, 2008

Who needs sleep? I do!

Last night I (miraculously) got Ruby to sleep by 9pm.  This is a great feat.  Ruby is not a great sleeper (that is an understatement).  As an infant, she slept through the night almost every night until she was five months old... we took a vacation that apparently spoiled her sleep habits permanently.  Since then, her sleep habits have been all over the place, sometimes good, but mostly unpredictable and generally fewer hours asleep than I think she needs.

So last night I patted myself on the back for successfully putting her to bed early (9pm is early for Ruby).  But as I was enjoying my victory and getting some stuff done kid-free, I heard the crying of a certain little girl.  I must admit, my heart sank.  Andy went upstairs to comfort her.  He put her back to sleep, but fifteen minutes later she was crying again.  Ruby sleeps in Alli's trundle now.  The crib can no longer contain this talented climber.  So Ruby can get herself out of bed at will... and what a will she has!

After we went to bed, I was up with Ruby four or five times during the night.  I woke to the sound of little feet running across the hardwood floors to my bedside... several times.  Finally Ruby won and she ended up in our bed, where she wiggled and kicked and continued to keep me up.  The kicker is that I had to wake Ruby up this morning so I could take Alli to preschool.  I was sorely tempted to leave her sleeping, but reason won over.

So today I am a zombie mom.  It is 9:50pm, and Ruby is as perky as a cheerleader with a Mountain Dew.  And I am about to pass out with exhaustionzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz as I escape to blogland.

alli ruby lucas norma asleep

The picture is from our trip to Utah.  Ruby was actually asleep for this picture.  Lucas was really snoozing too.  Alli and Great-Grandma Norma were just posing (as if you couldn't tell). 

I am open to any sleep advice, but keep in mind Ruby no longer sleeps in her crib because she can climb right out.  Oh yes, every night is a real adventure (battle) with Ruby.  Maybe I should price out a night-time nanny.  Just kidding.  But if I get the chance to dream tonight, I will dream about having a night-time nanny. 

5 comments:

Kris Tina said...

My suggestion may not be practical but I promise it will work - benadryl in a bottle!

Amy Christine said...

I think you should put her back in her crib and invest in a crib tent. Then she gets out of bed on your terms and not on hers!

Here's a link to a crib tent. Seriously, buy it right now!

http://store.babycenter.com/product/nursery/nursery+accessories/crib+accessories/crib+tent.do?asc=false

Amy Christine said...

I forgot to add... Once you have her back in the crib and unable to get out you'd have much more options. You could not respond to her after you put her to bed, or you could respond but not get her out, or you could rock her back to sleep and then put her back or whatever you're comfortable with. But at least you'd have options since she won't be able to get out on her own anymore. I feel your pain - remember what an awful sleeper Noah was??

Karyn said...

I cannot endorse drugging babies (though the thought has crossed my mind)... and Ruby has the opposite reaction to Benadryl, she gets all hyper and silly. But maybe if I take benadryl I will sleep through the chaos.
The crib tent sounds promising. Or maybe a large kennel will do. Just kidding... sort of.

carrie said...

This is the saddest story I have ever heard. Oh I wish I had tips for you. I like Amy's idea though.