Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Year of the Rat

Did you know that this year is the year of the Rat?!rat2   

I am not too excited about it.  Honestly, I don't know much about Chinese zodiac, so maybe it is not a bad thing after all, but I hate rats.  The thought of a rat as the mascot of 2008 kind of creeps me out.

On a related note, I saw the movie Ratatouille last week for the first time.  It was a cute story teaching nice values, but the rat animation was so realistic that I had to look away (like when you watch a really scary movie and you turn away for the grossest parts).  The little rats running around the kitchen looked and moved just like the real things, kind of jumping, zig-zagging, scampering and hiding as they go.  (Ugh.  I just got goosebumps... the creepy kind.) 

Yes, I had to look away from a cartoon.

I have had some bad (understatement) experiences with big urban rodents.  There was that time when a rat ate our leftover Thanksgiving pumpkin pie... and a loaf of bread.  That was bad.  And then there was that time when a rat jumped up on Andy's leg while he was on the couch.  (Again, goosebumps.)  Oh yes, and the time a rat took a bite from every peach in a case.  Just one bite from each fruit.  Same thing again with tomatoes. 

But the ultimate rat experience happened when I was eight and a half months pregnant with Ruby.  I was in our kitchen preparing Alli's lunch around 11:30am when I heard a loud "SNAP!"  I didn't realize what it was until I was cleaning lunch up and I opened the cupboard under the sink only to discover a huge dirty rat in the trap (we kept a trap set in the locked cupboard under the sink just in case).  And it was still alive.  And it was bleeding everywhere and making quite a mess.

Andy was out of town.  Of course.  I called him, panicking, sort of laughing and crying and definitely freaking way out.  He didn't answer the first few calls, so I left hysteric messages.  He called back and I lost it and wept into the phone.  Unfortunately there was nothing he could do from New York.

I did not want to be home with an injured rat lurking in my kitchen.  So I took Alli and we went to my friend Alison's house.  And we stayed there all day.

Alison's neighbors had some workers and I offered $30 to two guys to come to my house and "take care of the rat."  When I went back home with them, the rat was still alive (and this was like six hours after it first set off the trap).  Those two guys removed the rat, took care of it, and cleaned up the huge blood/poop/etc mess it had made under my sink.  It was worth every penny.

We have been rat free for over eighteen months now (I am knocking on wood).  We have fortified our house.  Behind and under our kitchen cabinets there is metal plating on the wall and floor.  Every gap and crack exposing the crawl space has been sealed permanently.

But I still have bad, bad dreams about rats.  I shudder when I see tame ones in the cages at Petco.  I do not find rat animation very fun.

I think I am permanently scarred.

9 comments:

Alison said...

I too HATE rats! They are so gross! YUCK YUCK YUCK! I think I was born in the year of the rat, figures! Your rat story is the best! I'll never forget it either!

Steph said...

I swear I crack up whenever I hear your rat story...I crack up more thinking I used to have pet rats growing up. they were "country" rats though, not city rats...i swear it makes a difference!

Karyn said...

Alison- you were there for me in a dark, dark moment.
Stephanie-I see no difference. I think the cartoon rat is a menace! Next time I will call Ben to "take care of it." (But there better not be a next time.)

Emily said...

I think YOUR year of the rat was 2006 - or was it '07? Anyway, I think it's past for you. This will be Year of the 2-year-old. Ruby is already taking bites out of stuff on the table and scampering across your floor...

stephasauri said...

Does SRP know about your blog? I would love to see her face as she reads your great rat stories! I love it!

Anonymous said...

where the heck do you live that rats keep invading your house like this??

street rats are quite different than normal rats.. but really, they are only in your house looking for food and shelter, NOT to harm you! there's no reason to be afraid..they won't even bite you! why did you have to kill one, why not get a humane trap and bring it to a shelter or somewhere like that? i'd be quite shaken by a bloody mess like that too, so don't buy that kind of trap!

maybe it's because i have pet rats that are the gentlest/funnest pets i have ever had..better than dogs or cats to tell you the truth..but i can't believe how creeped out people get about rats! just read about them and stuff..they are honestly harmless!
please don't bother with hating the ratties. they're not out to get you, i swear it.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so you obviously have never actually held a rat, or had a rat as a pet, b/c they are the most wonderful pets a person could have. You are all heartless.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE rats and I no most people hate rats ever when they hve never seen a rat before!And you know I have a pet rat and he is from a pet store by the way EVERYWHERE they make rats look bad!!!

www.bannanarat.com

Unknown said...

You had an innocent little creature (yet mischievous...but innocent) badly injured ans all you cared about was the blood it was painfully bleeding that left a mess?

Ha ha ha, I know, you think of it differently than I do. Lolx. Pretty bad times with rats....

I have never had any, unless you count the times my beloved rattlings peed on me or bit my tongue.