Monday, January 14, 2008

Spectacles... both kind

I got pink eye for a third time this season.  Not cool.

So I threw out all of my contact stuff, eye shadow, mascara, eyeliner, face lotion... and part of me was grumbling about the expense and hassle of replacing it all, but I do not want to get pink eye again.

My eye is looking better now.  Fine, actually.  But I am wearing glasses for a few days, just to be sure.

I hate wearing glasses.  For one thing they are always covered in little finger prints and slobber (not my own).  But I will suffer through spectacle-wearing to avoid more pink eye.

So Sunday I was getting ready for church and I busted my glasses at the hinge as I was putting my sweater on.  Ugh.  I had to tape my glasses together and wear them to church.  Not cool.  My glasses have spring hinges, so one side was all springy and the other side had wobbly tape which made them sit on my face quite askew.  I kept adjusting them.  But they sprung right back into their wonky position.  It nearly drove me crazy.

Andy's glasses are almost the same prescription, so today he suggested that I wear his glasses while I got mine fixed.  My vision was much better, but whenever I looked down the glasses nearly slid off my face.  And I was wearing man-glasses.  I had a million errands to run (Stanley's, Home Depot, Target, Strack & Van Til, Costco) and I just kept hoping I wouldn't see anyone I know.  But I did see my friend Carrie at Target.  She didn't laugh at me, which made me feel good.

It took like 15 minutes for the Costco glasses-fixer guy to fix my glasses.  Unfortunately, they don't make my frames anymore, so the new piece he put on doesn't match perfectly, but it beats tape... and man-glasses.  And he fixed them for free.

3 comments:

carrie said...

I was laughing inside. JUST KIDDING! I didn't even think twice about you wearing man glasses.

Karyn said...

You are a true friend.

Alison said...

I say you could start a new trend!